Monday, December 5, 2011

True Witchcraft

The wind whistled through the cracks of the old barn and the candles flickered, elongating shadows on the walls.  The storm brewing outside had knocked the power out hours before, but the wedding was to proceed as planned.  The music sounded eerie against the pounding rain, but as Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D began, Tabitha started her march down the aisle.  She looked around the barn, and tears streamed down her cheeks as memories, both good and bad, flooded her mind.
            Tabitha knew that the old barn wasn’t exactly the most romantic place to be wed, but it was where everything had begun and it was where she intended to end all the ridicule.  She had spent days cleaning out the manure corner and sprucing the taped up windows with lace hangings.  The chairs she had placed throughout the barn were for an audience that was never going to attend.
            As she looked up into the loft, and smiled as she remembered that fateful night when she and Zachary had taken refuge in this barn from a storm as frightening and strong as the one that was billowing outside now. 
Zachary had been betrothed to another woman, a woman of high-status and respect in the small town of Friuli.  Harmony was the daughter of the mayor and Zachary was the son of the most prestigious farmer.  Their engagement had been known throughout the town, practically from the day Harmony was born.  They had been told their whole lives that they were to be married, and they never questioned their parents’ wishes.
            When she and Zachary had taken refuge here, it hadn’t taken her long to get him to open up about his feelings, because no one had ever asked him what he felt before.
            “Zachary, I see you around town with the beautiful, young Harmony White, but neither of you seem to be happy, why is that?”
            “Who are you to say that I’m not happy?”
            “You never smile and when her name is mentioned your face drops just a little, for only a moment.  I spend a lot of my time observing people, not so much talking, so I notice things that others miss.  Many miss the unhappiness in you, in both of you.”
            “And you know what happiness looks like, Miss Tabitha?  You’re the local witch, and you are all alone, orphaned in high school.  What happiness have you ever experienced?  You’re an outcast here, unless you’re needed to heal the wounds of the town.”
            “I know happiness, because I have felt it within me when I get to help people and become known as ‘the healer’ for just one minute instead of the ‘devilish witch.’  I know happiness because before my gift was recognized by the town on that dreadful day when I saved Joey Martin’s life with just the herbs outside this barn, I had friends that played with me like I was normal.  And even after I became the town witch, there were people like you that never shunned me or threw rocks at me, but stood up to those that did.  So therefore, Zachary Booth, I do know what happiness looks and feels like, because I have felt it and I have seen it.”
            Zachary sighed and hung his head as he began his story.
            “As you know, my father died when I was young.  He always told me that his greatest desire was to see me and Harmony be wedded and join our two families together.  Since he was my father, I held great respect for him and I wanted to do nothing but please him.  So when he died, I knew that I had no choice but to follow his wishes.  My mother only encouraged these notions.  She did everything in her power to make me remember the words he said, ‘Son, do what your mother tells you and keep honor in our family name.’  Harmony and I are controlled by our parents’ wishes and their desires to join the two family names.”
            “Well, now, that just sounds silly to me.  You are a very strong individual.  How did your mother make you do anything you didn’t want to?”
            Tabitha remembered the hurt in his eyes as he said, “She knew I loved and respected my father.  He did everything in the world to make her happy, and when he died, I knew I was expected to keep up the tradition.  My father’s words haunt me.  I cannot make mistakes to dishonor him or our family name.  It’s important to me to be the son and man he always wanted me to be.  My mother knew him best, so I do as she tells me to.”
            “And that, Zachary, is where you have strayed.  Your mother is only trying to gain prestige.  She doesn’t want your happiness, only hers.  I have not seen you smile once since your father died so many years ago, and hers becomes more cruel every day.  I know neither you nor Harmony are happy in your engagement, but everyone is so caught up in the idea that they are blind to how you both actually feel.  Forgive me for being forward, but I can’t let this opportunity pass to express to you how I feel.”
            She leaned over and kissed him as the rain pounded against the old wood and the wind snuck through the cracks, raising bumps on their skin. 
            Tabitha smiled at the memory.  She had stolen his heart with a single kiss, but he had stolen hers with many years of kindness.  As she came closer to him at the end of the aisle, she knew that this was meant to be.
            Their courtship had been short, and very much disapproved by everyone in the town, with the exception of the relieved Harmony.  Tabitha began cleaning out the barn when Zachary had asked her to run away with him.  She knew there needed to be a proper marriage, so she planned everything in secret. 
            The preacher came in from out of town and brought his own witnesses.  It was to be just them, as it had been in the barn on that stormy night.
            The music ended and Tabitha looked into Zachary’s eyes.  They both smiled.
            “Marriage is a state of love and devotion that is shared between two people.  In your marriage this day, I speak of it respectfully…”
            Just then, the barn door burst open and a short woman with wild hair came running through.
            “Zachary Aaron Booth, what on God’s green earth are you doing?  This woman is barely human and you are with her in front of this crazy man to marry her?  Do you know what she is?  What she is capable of?  She has you under a spell, Zachary.  Don’t you see it?”
            “Mother, what are you doing here?” Zachary said as his face paled and Tabitha felt his hands turn cold.
            “Saving your life from this witch,” she turned to Tabitha, “Get away from my baby.  Get out of his head, you evil temptress.  I cannot believe you would sink so low as to manipulate an engaged man to marry you.  You disgust me.”
            The preacher behind them muttered, “Oh no, here we go.  Another crazed, overprotective mother coming to ‘save the day.’”  He sighed, leaned back against the ladder, and folded his arms to watch the show unfold.
The storm raged on outside, but inside the silence bore down on them. 
            Zachary finally spoke, “Mother, I’m not your little baby anymore.  I’m a man, and I am capable of making my own decisions.  Tabitha has done nothing but good in this town and I’m honored to marry her.”  Tabitha squeezed his hand.
            Pain etched across his mother’s face.  “Then you are no longer my son.  This creature is not going to defile our family name, Zachary, so I suggest you come to your senses and be reasonable.”
            “I am being reasonable, Mother.  And I have come to my senses.  Tabitha isn’t the one that is manipulating me, it is you.  It has always been you.”
            His mother’s face quickly changed to rage.  “How dare you speak to me like that.  You know that I only do things because I want you to be happy.  You cannot possibly be happy with a witch, Zachary, she’s not even human.”
            “Tabitha is more human than you are.  She is willing to do anything to help anyone; you are willing to do anything to help only you.  Open your eyes, Mother, I am finally free of manipulation and I am finally happy.  If you cared at all, you would be happy for me too.”
            With that, he tried to race out into the storm with Tabitha in tow, but his mother grabbed his arm.
            “You will not speak to me like that, boy.”
            He shook her hand off his arm and turned again toward the door.
            “Zachary, don’t you take another step.  Think of your father.  He would be disappointed in you.  This witch would disgrace his name and cause him nothing but heartache, and you know it.  She is using her witchcraft to make you marry her.  Snap out of it, Zachary.  I’m going to say it one more time, come to your senses and come with me.”
            Tabitha could take it no longer.  She stepped in front of Zachary’s mother, and slapped her across the face.
            "How's that for witchcraft, Mrs. Booth?"  She grabbed Zachary and they turned once more toward the door and exited into the refreshing rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment